It has taken me years to get my other half to start eating bolognese after years of being practically force fed it my his mother (his story, not sure how factual that actually is) and I finally found a recipe which he looks forward to eating. There is nothing worse to me than jarred sauce for something like bolognese, and this recipe more than fits the bill!
Syns per recipe: 7.5
Syns per serving: 2.5
- 50g Parma Ham chopped – 1 syn
- 2 medium carrots finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks finely chopped
- 1 large onion chopped
- 100g extra lean minced beef
- 100g extra lean minced pork
- 125ml red wine – 4.5 syns
- 300ml beef stock
- 4 tbsp tomato puree – 2 syns
- salt and pepper
- Heat a pan sprayed with fry light and add parma ham, carrot, celery and onion. Fry gently for 10 mins.
- Add the minced meat, stir and break up with a spoon until browned
- Add the wine and a ladle of the stock and cook for a couple of minutes to allow the wine to reduce slightly
- Stir in the tomato puree and reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer for an hour, stirring every so often. Add more stock if the mixture starts to dry out.
- After an hour season to taste and if required add a little more stock to thin the sauce out slightly.
Serve with spaghetti or tagliatelle and a sprinkling of parmesan, making sure to add the syns accordingly.