Oh I had the best onion gravy with my bangers and mash last night, it was awesome. And even better, there wasn’t a gravy granule in sight!!!!!
I got the recipe from here, but tweaked it to make it more slimming world friendly and it worked out at 3 1/2 syns for 2 servings. It was gloriously oniony and beefy but it was completely vegetarian, or so I was lead to believe on the website and it was worth the 2 syns that I gave it to be safe!
- 1 large onion (sliced into rings).
- 1 clove of garlic (Finely chopped
- 1 level tbsp of plain flour – 3 1/2 syns
- 350ml of stock (boiling water poured over 1 veg stock cubes)
- 1 level tsp of Marmite
- 2 tsp of soy sauce
- 1 tsp of balsamic vinegar
- 1 pinch of decent mixed herbs (my addition)
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the frylight in a pot over a low heat and add the onion slices.
- After five minutes add the garlic.
- Sautee until the onions are soft and transparent.
- Add the flour and stir in well. Let the flour get a bit nutty.
- Add the stock gradually, stirring constantly. Then add the Marmite, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, mixed herbs and black pepper.
- Bring the mixture to the boil and simmer very gently for 10 – 15 minutes. Stir every 5 minutes until the gravy thickens and the flavours blend.
So I had it with M&S Extra Lean Pork Sausages and I have to say they are yummy. I can be very fussy when it comes to sausages incase I get a grizzly bit but these were lovely and at only 1/2 a syn each totally worth it. Better than any other extra lean sausages I have had before and not a grain of rice in sight, bleurch!
I also had mashed potato’s which I couldn’t finish and loads of petit pois to go with it. Yummy yummy get in my tummy.
And these are the sausages incase anyone is interested, think they were £1.99