This is a recipe I found on Recipezaar and it was posted by SAMS_Club and it is absolutely gorgeous. I have adapted it slightly to make it more SW friendly. Don’t be too concerned by the syn content of this sauce, a little goes a long way, I have made about 6 pretty large pizzas with this amount of sauce. Plus it can be frozen! You could also have the parmesan as a healthy extra but I haven’t done that here since we will need cheese for the actual pizza 🙂
The original recipe can be found here
Total Syn value = 7 1/2
Servings = Approx 6 large servings
Syns per serving = 1
- Frylight – a good few squirts
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 9 1/2 tablespoons tomato puree – 4 1/2 syns
- 13 tablespoons passata or 227g
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan – 3 syns (Not necessary, but adds a little extra flavour)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sweetner
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- In a large pot, spray enough Frylight to cover the bottom and melt the butter using a medium heat. Add the onion, celery and garlic and saute until soft and transparent.
- Add passata and tomato puree and stir until smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to slow simmer.
- Simmer for 30-60 minutes (or not at all depending on your taste and time frame).
- Remove the bay leaf and spread the sauce on your prepared pizza dough.