I have used this sauce a number of times and it is fabulous. Great when you fancy something Mexican without the mega calories. I have included the method on how I make my Chicken Enchiladas but you could substutite the meat for anything you want. Let me know if you like it.
Enchilada sauce recipe was created by sal and can be found here.
Extra Easy Syn value: 22 Syns
Syn value per portion: 11 Syns
Servings: 2 very big portions.
- Frylight – Enough sprays to cover the pan
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 1/2 teaspoons chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 4 tablespoons salsa – 2 Syns (Can be made without this though)
- 175g (6 oz) passata
- 350ml (12 fl oz) water
- 1 -2 Chicken Breast’s (Depends on size) sliced into strips
- Mushrooms quartered
- Onions sliced
- 4 Tortilla Wraps – 20 Syns
- 84g reduced fat cheddar cheese – 2 x healthy extra A choice or 16 Syns
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the onion, oregano, chilli powder, basil, black pepper, salt, cumin, parsley, salsa and passata.
- Mix together and then stir in the water. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes
Put it all together:
- Once your sauce is ready, fry your chicken strips and once browned remove from the frying pan and put aside.
- Fry your onions and mushrooms until just about cooked. Then add back the chicken and most of the enchilada sauce.
- Allow this to cook for about 5-10 mins or until everything is cooked. Make sure you keep an eye on it so it doesn’t dry out.
- Once your filling is ready, heat your tortillas in a dry frying pan for about 30 seconds on each side.
- Once the tortillas are warmed split your mixture between the two tortillas (you will probably have far too much, just add in enough so that you can roll them up).
- Once you have rolled up your filled tortillas place them in a baking dish which has been sprayed with frylight. Top with any remaining mixture and the left over sauce. Sprinkle the top with cheese and place in a pre-heated oven at 200 degrees celsius until the cheese is bubbling.
- I like to serve these enchiladas with a nice salad or some SW free chips.