Sorry it’s been a while since I posted a recipe, I’m getting a new bathroom fitted and it has just been chaos! But I will try and post as much as I can until it is all completed!
Well today for lunch I made an amazing vegetable soup which I think is more of an Italian style than anything else. It is extremely light and filling at the same time and uses whatever veg you have lying around. This is how I made my batch today but feel free to add/remove anything you want and make the soup your own!
Now I’m not going to take you through how to chop vegetables because I am pretty sure even the most basic of cooks knows how to chop vegetables but here is a picture of all the veggies I used in this soup:
Now I don’t believe that everyone in the world is as strange as I am so feel free to use whatever you prefer. But I personally don’t like using chopped tinned tomato’s, I always buy plum tomato’s and chop them up. I prefer this as you can see exactly what you are putting in your dinner and it gives you an opportunity to remove any skin that has been left behind. Tomato skin upsets me greatly!
Now if you are a very lazy cook you can add all the ingredients into the pot at the same time; however I like to do it in stages. I think it adds a better flavour. So if you want to be like me you need to do the following:
Simmer the soup for about 20-30 mins or until the veggies are tender and the finished product should look like this:
I like to top my soup with some cheese but a nice crouton made out of a french baguette would be really nice too.
Italian style vegetable soup:
- 2 large carrots
- 2 large potato’s
- 2 sticks of celery
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1 chilli
- 2 small onions
- 6 mushrooms
- 2 courgettes
- Quarter of a small red cabbage
- 1 tin of tomato’s
- 2-3 vegetable stock cubes
- Selection of herbs
- Salt and pepper
- Peel the onion, garlic and celery (I like to use a peeler to take away the stringy bits of celery) and chop
- Finely chop the chilli, use as much as you like. I like this soup spicy but if you don’t adjust the quantities accordingly.
- Peel the carrots and potato and dice
- Dice the courgettes and mushrooms
- Slice the cabbage into thin slices
- Fry the onion, garlic, celery and chilli in a large soup pot with frylight. Fry until the vegetables are starting to soften
- Add the rest of the veg and fry until the vegetables start releasing their water
- Add the tinned tomato’s, stock cubes and a pinch of whatever herbs you want. I used parsley, basil and oregano
- Top up the pot with boiling water to cover all the vegetables and simmer the soup for 20-30 mins until the vegetables are tender
- Serve 🙂